Certain foods get a reputation for being extremely healthy, some of the few that come to mind are spinich and samon. A recent list compiled by Forbes.com focused on some surprising superfoods that consumers should pay attention to – foods that may have gotten a bad rap in the past but actually are packed with nutrition and potential disease-fighting properties. Here’s what they found:
- Raw Chocolate – Can reduce the risk of heart disease and enhance a person’s mood.
- Buckwheat Honey – Anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties.
- Avocados – High in potassium, B vitamins, vitamin E and vitamin K.
- Pumpkin – Can defend against cell damage and help prevent cataracts and macular degeneration, an eye condition that can lead to blindness.
- Black Tea – May help lower cholesterol and prevent dementia.
- Eggs – Help keep bones, hair and nails strong, and also aids in heart and brain health.
- Cinnamon – Helps delay onset of aging and has a positive effect on insulin levels.
- Tomato Paste – Packed with lycopene which can provide strong defense against diseases like prostate cancer.
- Frozen Blueberries – Filled with vitamin C and contain antioxidants that are said to improve brain function.
- Wasabi – May help prevent a wide range of ailments, including ulcers, tooth decay, blood clots, and asthma. If has antibacterial properties as well.
Even though the superfoods on the list can be very beneficial, researchers still stress the importance of eating a balanced diet and getting enough exercise.